We had a very pleasant chat with Uri, here's what he had to say.
1. Tell us briefly what your business is about
Pilpel is all about serving fresh, healthy food with exceptional customer service, and lots of love.
2. Tell us a bit about your background - where you've worked in the past and why you're doing this now.
I worked for my grandfather from the age of 14 at his falafel stand in Israel. Later on when I was 20 years old, I moved to London and spent the first five years working in different jobs, and then five more years working as a sales manager for a food company distributing homous all around the UK.
The reason I am doing this now is because my grandfather wanted to retire back home in Israel, but none of his kids wanted to continue his legacy. I promised him that I would make him a legend and keep his legacy alive. Pilpel opened on the 5th of May 2009.
3. If you were out for an evening in London, where would we most likely find you?
You would most likely find me having a picnic with my kids at Alexandra Palace.
4. Where did you get the inspiration for your food / menu?
My grandfather had a business back home for 60 years with his own secret recipe, which he himself inherited from his father. It's all about LOVE.
5. Tell us an interesting fact about you that not many know.
I am not a business man, I am an artist. I put lots of love into what I do.
6. What's the most popular item on your menu?
In a word... falafel!!
7. What do you eat when you're off work and at home?
8. What's next for your business?
Next for my business is making my grandfather a legend. In the city of London, the job is done. Now I'm looking at other areas.
9. Which three people, dead or alive, would you invite to dinner?
Bob Marley, Ray Charles and Mahatma Gandhi.
10.What’s your favourite London cheap eat?
Pilpel, Badolina and Barraka of course!
Liked this? Then you'll probably enjoy our previous interviews too:
10 QUESTIONS WITH: founder of Street Kitchen, Mark Jankel
10 QUESTIONS WITH: founder of Monty's Deli, Mark Ogus
10 QUESTIONS WITH: owner of Park Road Kitchen, Sam Mousawi
10 QUESTIONS WITH: founder of The Bell & Brisket, Bel Shapiro